According to the developers, the Steinway Tower, or 111 West 57th Street, has a height-to-width ratio of 24:1, making it “the thinnest skyscraper in the world.”
The Midtown Manhattan development consists of 60 apartments spread across the tower’s 84 stories and the adjacent Steinway Hall building.
The tower was designed by New York architecture firm SHoP Architects and built by JDS Development, Property Markets Group and Spruce Capital Partners, which began construction in 2013. Greg Pasquarelli, principal of SHoP Architects, called the building “a project of extraordinary proportion and epicurean”. Grandeur” in an email to CNN.
The Steinway Tower is only eclipsed by One World Trade Center and Central Park Tower in the New York City skyline. Credit: Dronist
Super-thin skyscrapers, also known as pencil towers, became distinctive features of Hong Kong’s skyline in the 1970s. Since then, major cities such as New York have followed suit.
The architects said their main goal was to create a new and bold interpretation of New York’s skyline, while also celebrating the historical roots of the location.
A Brief History of the World’s Tallest Buildings
“Any preconceived notions that our team had about the skyscrapers of New York City in development were replaced with the opportunity to do something that had never been done before,” Pasquarelli said.
The super-tall tower is in addition to Steinway Hall, a historic 1925 building known as the former home of piano maker Steinway & Sons, and a concert hall. This former cultural center has been converted into luxury homes.
The tower’s façade is comprised of blocks of terracotta, a material that appears to change color and texture when viewed in different lights and from different angles.
Steinway Tower is now opening its doors to new residents, but while the building’s silhouette is slim, prices certainly aren’t, ranging from $7.75 million for a studio apartment to $66 million for a penthouse.
- India, EU decide to start trade, technology
- Natural farming is the need of the hour: NITI Aayog CEO
- Shiv Sena slams BJP over Hanuman Chalisa controversy
- Bhagwant Mann’s Delhi tour with Arvind Kejriwal
- BJP skips all-party meeting over loudspeakers in Maharashtra
- Supreme Court will hear the petition after the abrogation of Article 370
- 85 of the great Oriya writer Binapani Mohanty. died at the age of
- Pak boat carrying heroin worth around Rs 280 crore caught
- Yes or No to Prashant Kishor? Congress meeting today after KCR
- Thieves used excavator to dig ATM machine in Maharashtra