New Delhi: A video shared widely on Twitter shows huge crowds at a popular Goa tourist destination despite the worrying Covid surge. Goa has seen a significant influx of tourists since the end of December, with tourists arriving in the coastal state for the Christmas-New Year festival season.
Officials say the huge influx of tourists has pushed up the COVID-19 positivity rate, which crossed 10 per cent on Sunday.
A Twitter user who goes by the handle @Herman_Gomes wrote, “This is a royal welcome to the Covid wave. Mostly tourists.”
The video showed hundreds of people walking on a road near Baga Beach in North Goa.
It was Baga Beach in Goa last night. Please take the covid scenario seriously. It is a royal welcome to the wave of Covid for most tourists. pic.twitter.com/mcAdgpqFUO
— hermangomes_jorno (@Herman_Gomes) 2 January 2022
The data released by the Health Ministry shows that around 388 people have tested positive in Goa in the last 24 hours.
The new cases took the total in the coastal state to 1,81,570, while one death raised the toll to 3,523. Said it.
Thousands of domestic tourists gathered in Goa to celebrate the New Year at beaches, pubs and nightclubs, even as the government imposed strict restrictions to curb the latest version of the coronavirus.
State officials have issued instructions to hotels, restaurants and casinos to only accept guests with a valid vaccination certificate or proof of a negative test result.
- Question of India: Khembaaz in blue, who else is free here
- Texas Synagogue Hostage Taker Investigation: Two Men
- India’s presence on India, thunder in the sky
- When the Cadillac Convertible Was the First President’s Car
- 73rd Republic Day: Voting in the country, in Mumbai
- Ukraine-Russia news: troops ‘insufficient’ for full offensive
- The status of RRB NTPC exam in Bihar has worsened
- Immune response effectively neutralized by Omicron COVID
- also included in the dump
- Winter Olympics can become ‘dangerous’ because of fake