Former Pakistan captain Mohammad Hafeez announced retirement on Monday© AFP
“For me, the biggest disappointment and injury of my career was when Azhar Ali and I took a principled stand on the issue, but we were told by the chairman of the board that if we don’t want to play, that’s fine, but the players concerned. Will play,” Hafeez said.
Hafeez also clarified that his retirement has nothing to do with PCB chairman Rameez Raja’s stand that he and Shoaib Malik should have retired after the 2019 World Cup.
“No, I started thinking about my retirement after the 2019 World Cup, but my wife and some well-wishers convinced me to go ahead. But I started thinking since then.
“As far as what Ramiz said or felt is his opinion and I have always respected the critics and my way is to answer them on the field. I don’t have any hard feelings towards anyone on the board.” Hafeez insisted that he is retiring from international cricket without any regrets.
The senior player, however, admitted that he had been trying to meet the PCB chief since the T20 World Cup.
“Ramiz said it was because he felt I wanted to speak about my category in the PSL and central contracts. But when I finally met him on 31 December I told him I wanted to tell him about my decision to retire. I want to tell
“I made this decision because I want to set a new and positive example for others to follow. Players should retire gracefully, with respect, at the right time and taking the board into confidence.” Hafeez also called for better communication between the players and the board.
“There is definitely a need for improvement in this area as these communication gaps need to be reduced as they lead to all kinds of problems.”
Topics mentioned in this article
- IPL 2022 will be held in India without crowd: Report
- SA vs IND: South Africa fined for slow over-rate
- Team India “Missing Spark” They Were Under Virat Kohli, Says
- India vs South Africa, 3rd ODI: When and where to watch live
- There’s been a discussion on how I should play the shots
- India vs South Africa, 3rd ODI, Preview: Visitors watch it
- Australian Open: Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas March
- India vs South Africa: Bhuvneshwar Kumar’s record in the south
- Punjab Election 2022 | “Here to save Punjab, with the people”
- UP Assembly Elections | it’s official. Akhilesh Yadav