“In Irkutsk, 21 electrical installations suspected of cryptocurrency mining were identified. Mining equipment was installed on balconies, in the basements of residential complexes and apartment buildings,” the region’s electricity provider Irkutskenergosbyt said in a post.
Often called the “crypto mining capital of Russia”, the cost of electricity in Irkutsk is six times less than the average price of electricity in other parts of the country. Therefore, residents of the area often use their subsidized household electricity to mine cryptocurrencies, said a report by Bitcoin.com.
Details about measures to control crypto mining activities in Irkutsk are not yet clear.
According to Cambridge researchers, mining bitcoin consumes about 121.36 terawatt-hours (TWh) of energy a year.
The process of crypto mining is also associated with massive carbon emissions, a concern amid ongoing environmental issues.
Mining operations for the four major cryptocurrencies released an estimated 13 million metric tons of carbon dioxide between 1 January 2016 and 30 June 2018, as claimed in a research report last year.
Last year, after China banned all crypto-related activities, Tesla chief Elon Musk commented that a lack of electricity could be a major factor behind China’s decision.
“A lot of South China is having random power outages right now because the demand for electricity is higher than expected. Cryptocurrency mining could play a part in this,” Musk said at the time.
In November 2021, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) estimated a five-fold increase in energy loads to support crypto mining and data centers.
The revelation came after residents of the US state of Texas complained that the crypto-mining process was eating up the area’s electricity supply.
- Watch: Will take Punjab back to former glory – AAP chief
- The Great Indian Murder Trailer: Prateek Gandhi, Richa Chadha
- Dosa Weather:
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Series Spotted With Exynos SoCs
- Top Upcoming Smartphones of 2022 in Hindi: Hai Hai!
- Amazon’s UK site backs out on plans to stop taking Visa
- Watch: Thousands defy Covid rules to participate in Karnataka
- Microsoft Teams gets 5 new features to support Frontline
- Top Apps for Women Safety in India Explained in Hindi
- Realme 9i With Triple Rear Cameras, Snapdragon 680 SoC