WhatsApp and Facebook have challenged the CCI’s notices dated June 4 and 8, 2021, respectively, asking them to furnish certain information for the purpose of inquiry.
A bench of Chief Justice DN Patel and Justice Jyoti Singh observed that the Data Protection Bill is yet to be finalized and, therefore, adjourned the proceedings till March 30.
“Till then, the time for filing reply to the notices issued by the CCI to the appellants (Facebook and WhatsApp) on June 4 and June 8 last year has been extended,” the bench said.
The court had earlier given time to the social media platform to file a reply to the notice and thereafter the time was extended.
Senior advocate Harish Salve, representing WhatsApp, submitted that the Data Protection Bill was introduced in the Parliament and the court had earlier given time till October 11, 2021 to file reply to the notice, but after that it could not be extended as The matter was not taken up.
Additional Solicitor General Aman Lekhi, appearing for the CCI, argued that the Data Protection Bill is “irrelevant” to the contention and the matter is not related to ‘privacy’, but rather misuse of dominant position with the provisions of the Competition Act and in some cases related to the investigation. Agreement and the dominant position of an enterprise.
Meanwhile, the counsel for Facebook India submitted that they have filed an application seeking their side as a party in the matter. However, the court asked them to file a fresh petition.
A division bench of the High Court had issued notice on appeals on May 6, 2021 and asked the Center to respond to it.
The court had said that it did not see any merit in the petitions of Facebook and WhatsApp for interfering in the investigation directed by the CCI.
The CCI had argued before a single judge that it was not investigating the alleged breach of privacy of individuals, which was being looked into by the Supreme Court.
- Punjab Election 2022 | “Here to save Punjab, with the people”
- UP Assembly Elections | it’s official. Akhilesh Yadav
- MediaTek Dimensity 9000 SoC feature has been given in OnePlus 10R.
- Names of 51 candidates in the list of BSP
- Google Now Has a Wordle Easter Egg: Here’s How to Find It
- Uttar Pradesh: Akash Yadav, 300 on campus from Karhal Prakash
- Garden made in western UP, SP Imdwar on 8 posts
- Daughters will inherit self acquired property of father if not
- Elon Musk says Twitter is offering NFT profile pictures
- UP Assembly Elections | Amit Shah, Yogi in West UP today