Chandigarh: Around 10,000 security personnel have been deployed in Punjab’s Ferozepur district ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit, which is being opposed by some farmers’ unions.
PM Modi is visiting Punjab after a gap of two years and will lay the foundation stone for projects worth Rs 42,750 crore.
Some farmers are demanding the union government to bring in a law to guarantee the Minimum Support Price (MSP) and withdraw police cases against farmers protesting the Centre’s agricultural laws.
Additional Director General of Police G Nageswara Rao said that adequate security arrangements have been made ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Ferozepur in Punjab on Wednesday.
Officials said around 10,000 security personnel would be deployed in the border district in view of the Prime Minister’s visit.
Officials said the Punjab Police is working in coordination with the NSG, Army and BSF to ensure tight security arrangements.
An anti-drone team has also been deployed, he said.
PM Modi will lay the foundation stone for development projects worth over Rs 42,750 crore, including the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway and the PGIMER satellite center at Ferozepur.
The projects also include four-laning of the Amritsar-Una section, Mukerian-Talwara broad gauge railway line and two new medical colleges at Kapurthala and Hoshiarpur.
PM Modi’s visit comes after his government repealed three of its controversial agriculture laws, which led to a year-long farmers’ agitation along Delhi’s borders.
(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- Supreme Court said, at present there is no suitable case for bail
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Saram, Nagaland Chief
- BJP’s Miranpur candidate accused of giving provocative speech
- Supreme Court lawyers again received threatening calls this time
- Dinner with Arvind Kejriwal at Delhi CM’s new
- Active COVID-19 cases in India highest in 241 days
- Arvind Kejriwal started AAP’s digital campaign
- Ugandan man arrested at Delhi airport with cost of heroin
- Pakistan to hand over 20 Indian fishermen to India at Wagah
- On camera, 2 health workers in Bihar fight over Rs 500