But, the words Trump used to endorse Orban are worth spending some time on as they are revealing the importance the former president places in a leader. Here’s Trump Support:
“Hungary’s Viktor Orbán truly loves his country and wants security for his people. He has done a mighty and wonderful job protecting Hungary, stopping illegal immigration, creating jobs, doing business, and the upcoming Should be allowed to do this in elections. He is a strong leader and respected by all. He has my full support and support to be re-elected as Prime Minister!”
I want to draw your attention specifically to two adjectives that Trump used in endorsement: “powerful” and “strong.” And I must suggest that Trump is not in spite of his authoritarian tendencies but for Orban. Since from them.
There is much more – and more – but you get the general gist: Over the past decade Orban has sought to consolidate power and eliminate both his opposition and the country’s independent media. And Trump praises him for it.
And it’s not just Orban. During Trump’s time as a presidential candidate and then in office, he regularly praised authoritarian leaders for their strength and ferocity. (Emphasis below is mine.)
Of course, there’s a big difference between being strong (or tough) and being fair. Power is not knowledge – and often power undermines knowledge.
It seems Trump doesn’t understand that difference – or just doesn’t care. Leaders in their minds take away as much power as they can. Which explains not only his support for Orban but his continued efforts to undermine the free and fair 2020 presidential election.
- Chanel sends the princess on horseback down the runway in Paris
- Opinion: A Humble Prediction for What Comes After O’Micron
- Kansas City Chiefs fans donate $178,000 to New York
- Airbus will lease its popular ‘whale plane’
- North Korea did this sixth missile test
- Spotify says it will remove Neil Young’s music
- Tesla reports record profit, but warns supply will continue
- Aaron Rodgers claims vaccination status was ‘only’
- Buick Roadmaster Tom Cruise Is Driven Into ‘Rain Man’
- Fares grew five times faster in 2021 than in 2020